Posted on 05-12-2021 by Admin
Functioning of a Computer Notes for Punjab Exam PSSSB Clerk Patwari Delhi police Bank PO Clerk Exam SSC Exam Notes Class 9 10 MCQ Patwari exam LDC Railway Exam History of Computer Terms Features of Computer History of Computer Terms Related to Computer Notes Computer Fundamental MCQ
The invention of computer has changed the whole world today. Today everyone wants to know and understand about computer. Today computers are being used in every area of the world. Computers are being used in many fields like film production, transport, space, business etc.
The first digital computer was invented by Blaise Pascal in 1642 AD. There was a number in it which had to be dialed. But it could only serve to add. However, in 1671 AD, a computer was invented which was finally ready in 1694. The credit for this invention goes to Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz.
As we all know, computer is an electronic device. And like other electronic devices, the computer also works on the principle of input, process and output, and the working of the computer is also completed in these three steps. Any information or command given to the computer is called input. After that working on the input data is called process, and finally the result obtained after the process is called output.
Data and Instruction is the process of analyzing data and data according to arithmetic and logical instructions as input by the computer s processor. Processing is done by the CPU-Central Processing Unit. The CPU takes the data and instructions from the storage unit and performs all kinds of calculations based on the given instructions.
Functioning of a Computer
Computer performs four basic functions which are as follows
1. Input Information or data that is entered into a computer is called input. It sends data and instructions to the Central Processing Unit (CPU).
2. Processing It is the sequence of actions taken on data to convert it into information which is meaningful to the user. It can be calculations, comparisons or decisions taken by the computer.
3. Output It makes processed data available to the user. It is mainly used to display the desired result to the user as per input instructions.
4. Storage It stores data and programs permanently. It is used to store information during the time
of program execution and possible to get any type of information from it.
Computer is a very fast working machine. A computer can do as much work in a few seconds as a man can do after working continuously for a whole year.
The second biggest characteristic of a computer is its accuracy. A computer does a task 100% accurately. Computer does not cause any kind of mistake, if fault occurs then computer user or programmer (programmer is the person who writes instructions for a computer to solve a certain problem)
The full form of computer is "Commonly Operated Machine Particularly Used in Technical and Educational Research".
The computer was invented by the famous mechanical engineer Charles Babbage. Because first of all he designed the programmable computer. In 1822, Charles Babbage invented a mechanical computer named "Differential Engine".
1. The word computer has been derived from which of the following language?
(1) Greek (2) English (3) Hindi (4) Latin
2. Input, output and processing devices grouped together represent a(n)
(1) mobile device
(2) information processing cycle
(3) circuit board
(4) computer system
3. Which of the following is the correct order of the four major functions of a computer?
(1) Process, Output, Input, Storage
(2) Input, Output, Process, Storage
(3) Process, Storage, Input, Output
(4) Input, Process, Output, Storage
4. Collecting the data and converting it into information is called
(1) processing (2) compiling
(3) importing (4) exporting
(5) None of these
5. Computer cannot perform
(1) input (2) output (3) thinking (4) processing
6. A computer cannot perform which of the following functions? [IBPS Clerk 2015]
(1) Addition (2) Subtraction
(3) Bake a cake (4) Division
(5) None of these
7. Part number, description and number of parts ordered are examples of [IBPS Clerk 2013]
(1) control (2) output (3) processing (4) feedback (5) input
8. Benefits of computers are
(1) very fast and can store huge amount of data
(2) provide accurate output either input is correct or not
(3) think about the processing
(4) All of the above
9. A collection of unprocessed items is [SBI PO 2015]
(1) information (2) data (3) memory (4) reports
(5) None of these
10. Which among the following cycle consists of an input, processing, output and storage as its constituents? [IBPS Clerk Mains 2017]
(1) Processing (2) Output (3) Input (4) Storage (5) Data
1. (4) 2. (4) 3. (4) 4. (1) 5. (3) 6. (3) 7. (3) 8. (1) 9. (2) 10. (5)